- Mirrors and glass
Check that the windscreen is not:
Check that the windscreen and front side windows are not excessively tinted.
Check that all mirrors are in place and not:
- damaged or missing glass
If a camera system is used instead of a mirror, check that it works, and the view is correct.
- Windscreen wipers and washers
Make sure the windscreen wipers work. Check that they are not:
Make sure the windscreen washer is working.
- Front view
Check that no objects get in the way of your front view.
As a general rule, there should be nothing in the swept area of the windscreen wipers.
Some official stickers and road safety items are allowed, as long as they do not seriously block your view of the road, for example, operator licence disc.
- Dashboard warning lights and gauges
Check that all of these are working correctly:
- warning lights – including the engine warning, emissions system, anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic braking system (EBS)
Check that the steering wheel:
- moves properly and that the power-assisted steering works correctly
- has no excessive play
- does not jam
Check that there’s no excessive lift or movement in the steering column.
Check that the horn works and is easily accessible from the driver’s seat.
- Brakes and air build-up
- the air builds up correctly and warning system works
- there are no air leaks
- the footwell is clear
- the service brake operates both the tractor and trailer brakes
- the parking brake for the tractor works
- the service brake pedal does not have excessive side play or missing, loose or incomplete anti-slip tread
- Height marker
Check the correct vehicle height is displayed on the vehicle height marker in the cab.
Remember, the height can change, for example, when the fifth wheel is adjusted, or if the trailer is loaded, unloaded or reloaded.
Check that seatbelts:
- do not have any cuts, damage or fraying that may stop them from working
- stay secure when you plug them in
- retract against you when fitted, and fully retract when you take them off